wildejacht Points: 4,501 Lv 30
Zverinaa Points: 2,038 Lv 20
Wiemann Points: 2,037 Lv 20
Nebuchadnezzar... Points: 2,010 Lv 30
Aido68 Points: 1,568 Lv 17
mewaw_new Points: 1,000 Lv 20

i7 8700k stuck at 800mhz (Aurora R7)

Hi,

I unboxed my Aurora R7 today and noticed it was super super sluggish. I then tried playing games and even though the graphics were brilliant the frame rates were astonishingly slow.

After an hour I realised that my clock speed on my processor is stuck at 800mhz and nothing is making it move. This results in very low CPU usage % in games and the gaming temp doesn't even rise from idle by a single degree either.

HWmonitor as well as overlays in game show the low frequency.

I cleared the CMOS using the jumpers, reset everything and still this. Really frustrating on unbox day....

How can I stop the CPU freq being limited for seemingly no reason?

Aurora R7, i7-8700k, RTX 2080.

Thanks,
J

Antworten • 10

Hi jp667688,

What does Windows report your clockspeed as?  Open the Task Manager, and look at the Performance Tab.  It will list your Processor name with its default clock, and also show both your current speed, and your max speed.  Since you have the 8700K model, you should also check if the Overclocking settigns in Alienware Command Center are setting at that speed. Good luck!

Rich S.

Rich,

Thanks for your reply - some information here and a temporary fix but still very irritating issue!
- Windows does indeed state it's @ 798mhz often fluctuating by ~2mhz.

- I downloaded ThrottleStop and disabled BD PROCHOT which was checked. And just like that, the CPU was unthrottled.

However, every time I restart the PC, it goes back to 800mhz and I have to reset this again. 

As a temporary workaround, I've added Throttlestop as a scheduled task in windows and added a profile within it that removes the block on startup. But this is a really annoying issue that makes startup very slow until Throttlestop can be run.

Any information I can give to work this out just let me know!

JP

jp667688 said:

Rich,

Thanks for your reply - some information here and a temporary fix but still very irritating issue!
- Windows does indeed state it's @ 798mhz often fluctuating by ~2mhz.

- I downloaded ThrottleStop and disabled BD PROCHOT which was checked. And just like that, the CPU was unthrottled.

However, every time I restart the PC, it goes back to 800mhz and I have to reset this again. 

As a temporary workaround, I've added Throttlestop as a scheduled task in windows and added a profile within it that removes the block on startup. But this is a really annoying issue that makes startup very slow until Throttlestop can be run.

Any information I can give to work this out just let me know!

JP

Hi JP,

Have you flashed to the most recent BIOS update for your system?  It sounds like either your BIOS is bugged, or your CPU thinks it is either too hot or not gettign enough power, which is why the throttle bit is set.  Are you sure your cooling system is working, do you have the normal fan, or the liqued cooler?

Rich S.

Yes i agree with Rich here check your bios and make sure it is updated. If you are not comfortable doing this call AW support this is a brand new systrem and it should not be behaving this way. 

LinkRS said:

Hi JP,

Have you flashed to the most recent BIOS update for your system?  It sounds like either your BIOS is bugged, or your CPU thinks it is either too hot or not gettign enough power, which is why the throttle bit is set.  Are you sure your cooling system is working, do you have the normal fan, or the liqued cooler?

Rich S.

Hi Rich,

Late reply I'm super sorry, I didn't have notifications on in the forum. Still no fix.... but updates.

Yes. BIOS reinstalled. It was already the latest version and no change to issue with BIOS.

CPU still 800mhz on startup. I found one other user online on an archived post from a year ago who had the same issue but no fix. The PC is in an anti throttle mode (BD PROCHOT) which safeguards the CPU for seemingly no reason. My temps are great, it's the liquid cooled version. No power issues. Rapid PC once I wait for the 10 minute start up, get into throttlestop and disable this issue.

Still relying on an automatic startup scheduled task to launch Throttlestop every time. That's all I can do.......

Any suggestions still super welcomed.

Chromedragon said:

Yes i agree with Rich here check your bios and make sure it is updated. If you are not comfortable doing this call AW support this is a brand new systrem and it should not be behaving this way. 

Here's where it gets REALLY messed up.

My service tag and express number identify as the PC as a Dell Optiplex 3020 on the alienware driver / service website AND over the phone. No point crying to alienware about it as this PC is out of warantee (It's a reconditioned unit from amazon).

I got this PC for a rediculously unbeatable deal, it's cheaper than the sum of its parts (was a 4th July blowout ontop of it already being reconditioned and the best PC online). It's perfect, minus the fact when it starts up it's 800mhz for 5-10 mins until the throttle is disabled....

Why can't I have nice things! lol

jp667688 said:
Chromedragon said:

Here's where it gets REALLY messed up.

My service tag and express number identify as the PC as a Dell Optiplex 3020 on the alienware driver / service website AND over the phone. No point crying to alienware about it as this PC is out of warantee (It's a reconditioned unit from amazon).

I got this PC for a rediculously unbeatable deal, it's cheaper than the sum of its parts (was a 4th July blowout ontop of it already being reconditioned and the best PC online). It's perfect, minus the fact when it starts up it's 800mhz for 5-10 mins until the throttle is disabled....

Why can't I have nice things! lol

Howdy JP,

This makes me wonder if you have a faulty motherboard?  It could be something as simple as a sensor is not plugged all the way in, but that would normally show up in monitoring software.  Have you checked your thermals and settings using Alienware Command Center with the liqued cooler plug-in installed?  See what it reports as temps and settings.  Third party tools aren't always relieable with OEM solutions.  Good luck!

Rich S.

I dont know if you resolved the issue, but I removed the processor and put it back in with new thermal paste and it fixed the issue, I had the exact same problem 8700k clocking at 800mhz, went and bought a i7 9700kf and it wouldnt work on the board, so I put the 8700k back in and it worked fine clocking at 3700mhz, and returned the 9700kf

Synesis said:

I dont know if you resolved the issue, but I removed the processor and put it back in with new thermal paste and it fixed the issue, I had the exact same problem 8700k clocking at 800mhz, went and bought a i7 9700kf and it wouldnt work on the board, so I put the 8700k back in and it worked fine clocking at 3700mhz, and returned the 9700kf

thanks for the reply