OverReactor Points: 60 Lv 18
fethidede34 Points: 51 Lv 3
RustyParadise Points: 51 Lv 11
jojicu54 Points: 50 Lv 3
yunduaniii Points: 45 Lv 22
2116766638@qq.c... Points: 45 Lv 14
yunduan88 Points: 45 Lv 14

Alienware 17 R3 from 2016. Fastest setup speed - BIOS settings

Hello. If I could please receive a bit of help on this topic I would really appreciate it.

I purchased an Alienware 17 R3 in June of 2016. It came with a Samsung PM951 NVMe SSD 256Gb. Ever since I performed my first fresh-reinstall of Windows 10 Pro, this laptop that used to start up in mere seconds, now is very sluggish upon powering up. 

I have gone through the process of installing all the recent drivers obviously, in the correct order according to Dell.com's support section of drivers. So my question is if anyone knows a 'fastest possible BIOS setting,' arrangement that I could use? My 'SATA Operation,' under the 'Advanced Tab,' is currently set to [RAID]. Should it be [AHCI]? Under the 'Boot Tab,' the Boot List Option is [UEFI] and LOAD Legacy Option Rom is [Disabled].

My current Boot Option Priorities is as follows:

Boot Option #1  WIndows Boot Manager

Boot Option #2 Onboard NIC (IPV4)]

Boot Opton # 3 Onboard NIC (IPV6)],

Lastly, should I enable 'Fan Performance Mode,' when I have CPU Performance Mode enabled with Core Over Clocking Level set to [OC LV 1]?

A big thanks to all those that contribute!

Antworten • 3

In my experience, the most effective way to decrease boot time without upgrading is to go into Settings > Apps > Startup, and to disable some programs you don't need immediately at startup. Your computer is from 2016 so I imagine you will have accumulated quite a lot of programs you don't need in addition to some OEM bloatware. To be honest though, what I would do in your case would be to buy a new SSD for your computer. SSD technology becomes obsolete pretty quickly, and drives from today could be multiple times faster than drives from 2016. This is the SSD I recommend: https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-500GB-NAND-NVMe-PCIe/dp/B07J2WBKXF. It is confirmed to work on your 17 R3. If you wish, you can choose to get the 1tb or 2tb variant, but considering you haven't even used all the storage on the 256gb SSD with 4 years' worth of programs, 500gb will probably be more than enough. Best of luck and stay safe!

-William C

Howdy Lancer66F-22,

William C, has a good point, a new SSD would probably speed up your system, and give you more space to boot (boo, pun intended :-)).  However for completeness sake, as Alienware machines have very little bloatware from the factory and you indicated you have done a "fresh" install, you might want to try and refresh your SSD.  Download this tool from Samsung, and run it on your drive: https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/.  SSDs often "cheat" and don't really erase their cells when files are remove, to speed up performance, as the erase cycle is slow.  There is a feature built into Windows 10 (and other OS's) called Trim, that will work in the background to fully erase the cells.  Howeve, if for some reason Trim is unable to run, your SSD must do an erase then write everytime it tries to save data, which makes it run very slow.  IF (and I am not saying that this is the case for sure), this is your issue, the Samsung Magician Software can go through and erase all the cells, and restore performance to your drive.

With all of that said, newer versions of Windows 10 display boot statistics in Task Manager, on the Startup tab.  You can check that to see what Windows thinks your boot time is, vices what you percieve it to be.  Windows 10 also has some optimizations and housekeeping it has to do, and on a fresh install, it might take a few boot cycles to get all of that squared away.

Good luck!

Rich S. 

have you run Support Assist? Interested to know the results of a full hardware scan. Your BIOS settings match mine btw so I don't think that's the cause of your boot slowdown¯\_(ツ)_/¯